So with Valentine's Day out of the way, our new February focus is Pancake Day! Or should we say Shrove Tuesday. With scotch pancakes, crepes and fluffy American pancakes, the question is no longer just what topping, but what type!
Over the last few weeks I've been whisking up some pancake magic and testing out my favourites, in anticipation of February 17th.
As I spent all 2014's summer months in the US, a firm favourite has to be the fluffy American pancake. Serve them with crispy streaky bacon and generous drizzle of maple syrup or with lashings of greek yogurt, fresh raspberries and honey. The perfect lazy Sunday breakfast or delicious pancake day pud!
Why not give these a try this pancake day?
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food.
135g Self raising flour
2tbsp Golden caster sugar
1tsp Baking powder
2tbsp Melted salted butter
1 Egg, beaten
- Sift flour, baking power and caster sugar into a bowl. In a separate bowl/jug whisk together the milk, egg and finally the butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and beat with a fork until you have a smooth batter. It may need a little rapid fork action, to remove all the lumps.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, with a little oil or better still fry light. Add a ladle of batter, a second pancake if you think your pan can handle it!
- Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble slightly and the edges look like they're firming up and then flip over - I use a spatula because I'm a tad too cautious! When both sides are golden and the pancakes looking nice and fluffy, get it out and onto your plate.
- Serve immediately with your chosen topping, pile high in stacks or keep warm in a low oven.
How will you top yours?
- Classic maple syrup and crispy bacon
- Greek yogurt, raspberries and a little honey
- Add some blueberries or chocolate chips when you flip the pancake and serve with whipped double cream
- Chopped banana and Nutella
Let me know your favourite combinations!
Keep calm and flip them pancakes!
Love Jess xo