So as I am teaching away in America, I thought it would only be fair to share a couple of simple recipes with you guys too, starting with this super simple Mac 'n' Cheese. All the recipes I put up over the next two months will be incredibly kid friendly and can be done and dusted in less than an hour. Don't worry, I will be giving you the UK friendly recipes and saving the cups for the USA!
Right, let's get cooking...
· 250g elbow macaroni (cooked to packet instructions in salted water)
· 60g butter
· 60g plain flour
· 200g cheddar (2oz extra for topping if serving grilled)
· White pepper to taste
· Pinch of paprika
· 400ml milk
· Optional – fried off pancetta
1. Cook macaroni according to packet instructions in salted water on a hob.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over a medium heat.
3. Stir in the flour off the heat, beating fast and return to the heat and cook out the flour for 1 minute, stirring continuously. CHECK Stir quickly and add gradually to avoid lumps.
4. Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring quickly to keep the sauce smooth
5. Once all the milk is added, return to a medium heat and stir until thickened (up to 5 minutes). Season whilst the sauce is thickening.
6. Drain macaroni and add to thickened sauce, adding paprika and adjusting seasoning. (Add pancetta here). CHECK Hot pan with liquid – be careful.
7. Either serve or transfer to an oven dish, sprinkle with extra cheddar and grill until cheese blisters.
Keep calm and let's get cheesy.