This evening I thought I'd cook up a little pasta carbonara, however we had way too many sausages that needed eating. I decided on making my carbonara with a little saussy twist...give it a go! It's truly delicious.
6 good quality pork sausages
3 rashers of quality smoked bacon, diced (pancetta can be substituted)
1 or 2 punnets of button mushrooms
tbsp of salted butter
4 large egg yolks
125ml double cream
4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
125g parmesan (cheddar can be substituted)
handful of freshly chopped parsley
good squeeze and rind from half a lemon
500g tagliatelle (penne can be substituted)
drizzle of olive oil
pinch of rock salt
good grind of coarse black pepper
1. Remove the skins from the sausages, and roll the pork meat in to rough balls. Place the garlic, sausage meat and bacon into a large frying pan and fry at a moderate heat. Stir occasionally.
2. Put the pasta over a moderate heat, in salted water, and drizzle a little olive oil in the pan to aid the softening of the pasta
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks, double cream, lemon, salt and pepper until thick and creamy. Add a handful of the cheese and the parsley.
4. Add the mushrooms and butter to the meat and lower the heat. Stir occasionally.
4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain 3/4 of the water and mix the pasta, egg mixture and remaining water. The heat from the pasta should gently cook the egg. Add in the meat mixture and toss lightly.
5. Serve immediately, sprinkling the remaining cheese and a grind of black pepper on the top.
Bon Appetite :)
Keep calm and scoff a load, kiddies!
Red velvet <3